December 28, 2012

Christmas Ornaments 2012

It's time for the unveiling of the 2012 Christmas ornaments.

As a reminder, the rule is that I must purchase each member of the family an ornament (usually Hallmark) at an after Christmas sale. I try to pick ones that are somehow meaningful to the individual. If I see an ornament that is perfect for someone and it sells out before Christmas, too bad. That's exactly what happened this year. I wanted to buy Tomas the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man ornament since that was his Halloween costume this year.


See? It would have been perfect. Oh well.

I still think I did pretty well though. Beginning with the top left and going clockwise, we first have my ornament, a German beer stein (not because I drink beer but because I speak German, served a mission there, and have been back several times). Then, we have Katie's stained glass ornament. It's the third and final one of the series. Katie now has all three. I know Katie often dreams of being a nun where she could hang out in a quiet cathedral all day surrounded by beautiful stained glass windows. In my opinion, LDS chapels could use more stained glass. Next comes Chloe's ornament. It was probably the biggest stretch, but I don't think she'll ever forget the year she received it. It is an ornament of Willie Mays. I didn't give it to her because Chloe is an avid baseball fan but because Willie Mays came from Alabama. This will always be remembered as the Christmas that Chloe had her mission call to Birmingham, Spanish speaking. Only a little over a month to go before she leaves, and we're all very excited. For Liam, I chose an electric guitar ornament. His big present from the family was a Jackson Kelly electric guitar. Once he gets the amp to go with it, we may need ear plugs. And finally, I gave Tomas a Nightmare before Christmas ornament. This was Tomas' first year taking part in the annual Christmas Eve puppet show. Tomas and Liam put on the Tim Burton classic. You can check it out here.


Chloe asked if the kids will get to take the ornaments with them when they move out. Even though that was original intent, I might just renege. It will be hard part with them and their memories.

But...I'm sure I'll give in.

No comments: